Choosing a well-qualified, highly experienced facial surgeon is the best way to ensure minimal scarring from any procedure. When a surgeon has comprehensive training and skill in advanced surgical techniques, noticeable scars are much less likely.
At the same time, you can take steps during the recovery process to minimize scarring. Ask your facial surgeon for advice or contact the team at Richmond Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery to learn more.
Take Care of Your Surgical Incisions
If you want to keep post-surgical scarring at a minimum, you need to nurse your wounds. Your facial surgeon will tell you exactly how to handle incision care, but generally speaking, most professionals recommend that you:
- Keep the incisions moist in the first days and apply an ointment to the area to speed healing.
- Gently clean the incisions, but refrain from picking or scratching.
- Lightly massage the wounds after the sutures are removed to boost blood flow and help prevent the formation of scar tissue.
Take Care of Yourself after Facial Surgery
As any surgeon will tell you, caring for yourself properly after surgery is crucial. If you don’t, you could prolong the recovery period – which might result in more noticeable scars. To minimize scarring, be sure to:
- Rest at home, limiting your physical activity for however long your surgeon recommends.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol, at least until your incisions have fully healed.
- Stay hydrated and eat a balanced diet that includes ample protein.
- Limit your exposure to sunlight, and put on a hat and plenty of sunscreen before going outside
Watch Out for the Warning Signs of Infection
As you’re healing, be on the lookout for symptoms of infection. If your incisions get infected, your chances of being able to successfully minimize scarring will be lower.
If you notice any redness or swelling at or near the wounds, contact your surgeon immediately. Do the same if you spot any discharge or if you develop a fever. With quick action, the infection poses less of a risk of leading to larger, more noticeable scars.
Consider Surgeon-Approved Scar Treatments
For some patients, additional scar treatments — including ointments, creams and silicone wound dressings — can be beneficial.
Before shopping for a solution to minimize scarring, however, check with your facial surgeon. Many products simply aren’t worthwhile, and others could pose problems to some patients.
At Richmond Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, we employ state-of-the-art technologies and advanced techniques to minimize scarring after surgical procedures. Rest assured, you’re in good hands with our facial surgeons, Dr. Partridge and Dr. Alderman. With their extensive expertise, noticeable scars are quite unlikely.
The Richmond Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery team understands your concerns about your post-surgical appearance, and we’re happy to offer advice on how to minimize scarring. To discuss the matter with our highly experienced facial surgeons, contact our office today.